How do Councillors inform themselves prior to making decisions?
- Communication between councillors, council staff and community occurs through a variety of channels and is governed by a number of pieces of legislation.
- Decision-making occurs at many levels within Council and is supported by various forums comprised of councillors, staff, community members and/or independent specialists.
- Councillors must interact with the public, council staff, elected representatives, and access council records in order to make informed decisions.
- Informed and effective decision making demonstrates to the community and other stakeholders that Council is operating with transparency, probity, and in the best interests of all concerned.
- Effective and efficient communication is required for good governance and positive decision making.
Council reports are included in the agenda of meetings and contain detailed and considered information.