The Committee is independent of Council and has representatives from different government and community groups. The committee meets quarterly.
The purpose of the committee is to;
- Provide a forum where members can raise issues relating to coastal zone management in the Greater Taree area, and that relate to potential catchment issues impacting upon the coastal zone.
- Provide a forum where members can seek input, guidance and support for activities relating to coastline and Manning catchment management.
- Monitor progress of activities outlined in the Manning River Estuary Management Plan and Coastline Management Plans prepared by Council.
- Provide a forum for information and feedback on the review or formation or key plans and strategies relating to coast, estuary or catchment management by any agency.
- Facilitate an understanding amongst committee members of current and future potential coastal zone issues.
- Coordinate an advocacy role where required, that member organisations may present a united argument on local issues. Representation on issues will be made by unanimous vote of the committee only.
- Respond to relevant legislative changes.
- Provide current information on estuary, coast and catchment management issues to the wider public via the mechanisms of Committee members, and a Committee web page to be hosted by Council.