The NSW Government has implemented the Stage 1 Coastal Reforms, relating to sea level rise and coastal erosion and protection.
The three major changes are as follows:
- To allow coastal landowners to place sandbag protection in front of their properties for up to 2 years without certification on private land or with certification on public land
- To amend the wording on Section 149 certificates (property certificates required from Council when selling/purchasing land)
- To cease application of the NSW Sea Level Rise Policy Statement, including the state-wide sea level rise benchmarks.
The Stage 2 Coastal Reforms were released by the NSW Minister for Planning, the Hon. Rob Stokes MP on 13 November 2015 for exhibition for a three month period with submissions sought until 29 February 2016. The exhibition includes:
- Coastal Management Bill 2015 (proposed new Act)
- Coastal Management State Environmental Planning Policy
- NSW Coastal Management Manual
These documents together with other supporting information can be found on the website of the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage.